Monday, July 16, 2018

12 - Don’t Be A Christian Crippled By Your Past – You Have Been Set Free

Highlighted by mom, “Everyone’s life is driven by something”. (p27 note)  It’s true.  I wondered, what was driving her life?  Then she underlined “painful memory”. (p27 note)  Mom kept her past “close to her vest”.  Everyone has one or more negative events that have impacted them at some point, both before and after their new birth.  The magnitude of the event varies from person to person, but those events can shape us, numb us, even isolate us.  I would tell my children, “The worst thing you have experienced is the worst thing you know.”  What they might see as a catastrophe in their lives may, in fact, be trivial compared to the hardships that many others face.  But it is the worst thing they have experienced, so how could it get any worse?  Answer, you don’t want to know.  Life can impact us in significant and debilitating ways.  I recall when I brought up my feelings about my mom divorcing my dad.  She snapped back – “Don’t try to send me on a guilt trip!” I had no idea what she was talking about.  I had innocently pressed the wrong button.   I had agitated a festering wound.  That ever happen to you or with you?  Let me add that years later we had some very healthy conversations about her divorce, but that was after her second beginning.

She underlined “They allow their past to control their future.” (p27 note) As children, by default, we don’t think of our parents as people with a past, sinners just like us, but they are.  And if you have children, by default, they don’t think of you that way either.  When you prove them wrong, when your feet of clay, your sinful and fallible self is exposed, well, it can make for a difficult family dynamic.  But, not one that God cannot heal and bring restoration.

We are products of our past but don’t have to be prisoners of it.(p28 note)  Did she feel like a prisoner, captured by her guilt over past sins?  She knew that her sins were forgiven, just like we know our sins are forgiven, and yet many times we have difficulty living in that truth.

She circled “happiness” and “relief”.  (p28 note) I wondered, is that what she felt or hoped to feel?  I prefer to think the former and not the latter.  Happiness and relief is the result of receiving and accepting forgiveness.  We can know that we are forgiven but we don’t live in the reality of being forgiven.  Very often there is a reminder of the consequence of our sin, like a son sharing his feelings about how a mother’s choices weighed heavy on his life.  As I said, at the time that I asked the question, my mom was not a Believer.   What did she have to offer me?  She needed forgiveness herself; restoration with the Father through the Son by faith before she could point me to Jesus. Which by the way she did later.

She underlined “Resentment always hurts you more than it does the person you resent.”  (p30 Note) Who did she resent?  My father for one, I think.  Did she still resent him at the time she was reading that book?  Was God speaking to her heart?  Oh, how I wish I could ask her these questions.  Did reading this cause her to go to her knees and seek healing and help from the Lord?

Today our culture treats a broken marriage relationship like it was merely a high school crush.  It is so much more. It is a covenant between two people and with God.  It always brings brokenness. I did not say that God cannot bring healing, but we must not pretend that it is not a grievous act that ripples through generations not yet born. 

What about you?  Resentment leads to bitterness.  Bitterness is a thief that steals your joy and peace.  We have some pans that have metal handles.  When you cook with them, guess what, the handles get hot, really hot.  When you forget and grab the handles (any guesses about who might have done this?) you burn your hand.  Your immediate reflex is to pull your hand away.  To let go of the pot.  Why would you choose to hang on to the pot?  The same question applies to resentment.  Resentment will burn your heart.  Why would you want to hang on to it? Well, because you are convinced that you can’t let go of it.  No matter how much it hurts.  But you can! You can give it to Jesus.  (Matthew 11:28-29) “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” 

One of Martie’s, my wife, favorite verses is Jeremiah 29:11 “ ‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” Mom underlined that too.  God had indeed done that in her life.  We must not allow our old nature, our past sins and tragedies in our lives to control our lives.  In John 10:10, Jesus said “I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”  It’s true and it’s within your grasp. And the handle on that pan is not hot.

Mom wrote 

Psalm 32:1-5 “All my guilt is gone”
Now I experience, happiness, joy, relief.

How awesome is that! If I had any doubts, they were dispelled when I read that proclamation.  Mom had no idea that years later I would be reading her private words. Let alone that I would be sharing them with others. As strong of a Christian that she surely was, she was mortal, she had a past, but she was covered by the blood of the Lamb.  And in Him, she had happiness, joy and relief.

The same can be said for you, friend. In fact, that is my prayer and my purpose for writing this BLOG.  It’s for you!  I told a friend today that my writings are like a balloon filled with helium.  I release and let the wind take it where it may.  And so, I release the writings and let the Spirit take them where He may.  All to the glory of God.



Note: Taken from The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren Copyright © 2002 by Rick Warren. Use by permission of Zondervan. www.zondervan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

24 - Living For God

To the question posed on page 318 “Will you serve God’s purpose in your generation?” (p318 note) Mom wrote “Yes!” I think she wrote that ...