Saturday, August 18, 2018

22 - Serving Even When You Are Tired, Weak and Worn


 “If you are part of God’s family, your mission is mandatory. To ignore it would be disobedience.” (p283 note) Mom added an exclamation mark (!) to that last sentence.  [She had plenty of reasons that might tempt her to say “I am done.”]  Was she struggling with fulfilling the mission God had assigned? When you think of “super-saints”, you really don’t imagine that they struggle with obedience.  The “demons” that assail them may seem trivial to most of us.  Perhaps like a gnat buzzing around your head as compared to say, a swarm of killer bees attacking you.  But, people in hot pursuit of God – wanting to be fully yielded to His will, are not willing to accommodate even a gnat. Not if it hinders their relationship with and obedience to the Father. 
Having said that, what I am about to say should not be construed to mean that I think I am more than I am. I am reminded of Romans 12:3. “Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.”  In my estimation, I am not in the same league – spiritually – as mom and Don were. They were in the “Bigs” and I am struggling in the minor league.  Having said that, today, after working on restoring the Smith house in 100 degree weather, Martie asked me if I was tired.  
I answered, “Yes, I’m tired, but, then, I am always tired.” What we do is very difficult, emotionally, physically and spiritually. Her eyes welled up in tears.  She said, “I don’t want you to be tired.” When you serve God – you may find yourself in a difficult place – physically, emotionally, spiritually, even financially.  Maybe all four.  But that is not a reason to quit.  (Galatians 6:9) “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.”  Just because I don’t complain or even comment does not mean that what I do does not take its toll on me.  The measure of being right with God’s purpose is not the ease of the mission, but the peace in your heart.
I imagine that mom wondered if she should continue to serve.  That thought buzzing around in her head like a little gnat.  Her desire was to go to heaven – but the Lord had a purpose for her and she was determined to be obedient to her calling.  And to that thought she said (!). [and so do I by the way!] 


Note: Taken from The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren Copyright © 2002 by Rick Warren. Use by permission of Zondervan. www.zondervan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

24 - Living For God

To the question posed on page 318 “Will you serve God’s purpose in your generation?” (p318 note) Mom wrote “Yes!” I think she wrote that ...