Sunday, August 5, 2018

19 - When Being Good Just Isn't Good Enough


When I read mom’s note on page 178, two things came to mind.  First, it reminded me again of my mom’s great love for her husband.  Second, it reminded me of the great transformation in the life of my step-dad.  Don had always been a wonderful role model for me. Even before Jesus, he was kind, responsible, patient, especially with my mom.  He was a hard worker.  He provided for the family – all seven of us, the best he could.  
Like many second marriages there was a tension between the families.  As one of the four older children from the first marriage we all knew that we were not Piersons.  Not ever from Don, but from his sisters and parents.  I never had a harsh word spoken to me, but I knew there was a relational line for the four of us that we could never cross.  I once asked Don if I could call him Dad.  He told me “No, you have a dad.”  He wasn’t being mean, but respectful. But, what he did not seem to understand is that I wanted him to be my dad. And I must confess, to this day, when I say “Don”, in my mind and heart, I am saying “Dad”. Funny, but even now when I refer to him in a conversation, I still stumble over the word, Don.
Divorce in the 50’s and 60’s was not a prevalent as it is today.  To my recollection, we were the only children in our grade school whose last names did not match our mother’s. When asked why our name was different, it made me feel like I had done something wrong. There was something wrong, but it was not my fault and no one would tell me that. All that to say, Don did the best he could to overcome those challenges.  He never treated us differently from the younger siblings, his biological children.   He was a good man.  But when it comes to God, good is not good enough.  When a young man referred to Jesus as “Good Teacher” Jesus replied (Mark 10:18) Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.”  As good a man as Don was, he was not good enough.  None of us are.  We can’t live the Christian life apart from the power of God, the presence of His Spirit, and our will submitted to the will of the Father. 
Mom knew Don in a way that we did not.  We knew him as children, while she knew him as her husband, intimately. Intimacy between and husband and wife has more than the sexual connotation that our culture ascribes to the word today.  A speaker once described it as meaning “into me see”.  A deeper understanding of who a person is.  And she saw the change that took place in Don’s life, after his new beginning.
So how does it happen and why doesn’t God just “scoop us up to heaven” when we are saved?  “God gives us time on earth to build and strengthen our character for heaven” (p173 note) I think mom was wanting to be in heaven when she was reading the PDL.  The Bible says (Hebrews 9:27) “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.”  We are all going to die, unless Jesus returns first.  God does not tell you when you will die and certainly not how you will die.  But you will die one day.  Until then, God will continue to work in your life, conforming you into the image of His Son, if you allow it that is.
“Everything … connected with that old way of life has to go. It’s rotten through and through.  Get rid of it!” (p175 note) Mom saw that happen in Don’s life.  “The old passing away, all things becoming as new.” (2 Corinthians 5:17) And she thanked the Lord for it.  She saw Jesus in Him and so did we.  It made me want to be like him even more.
“If you study and apply God’s Word, connect regularly with other believers, and learn to trust God in difficult circumstances, I guarantee you will become more like Jesus.” (p176 note) When mom underlined these words, I am fairly certain she was thinking about Don.  That is who I think about.  And I also think about my mom who followed in Don’s footsteps. Just like I am doing.  Do you have a Don in your life, who is living proof that faith in Jesus can and will transform your life? If you don't you need one!
Note: Taken from The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren Copyright © 2002 by Rick Warren. Use by permission of Zondervan. www.zondervan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

24 - Living For God

To the question posed on page 318 “Will you serve God’s purpose in your generation?” (p318 note) Mom wrote “Yes!” I think she wrote that ...