Saturday, July 14, 2018

10 - We Are A Masterpiece Planned


Mea Culpa - I got ahead of myself.  I left this post out.
So, we are just about there, just about to Day 1. Right next to the first page of Day 1 (page 17) is something mom wrote and titled "The Masterpiece Planned" I will put my comments in itallics. Her comments are in bold.

Her notes and comments set the stage as she entered into the study of God's purposes for her life.  Knowing who she is with and without God. Establishing the foundation and context for her study of this book.  Remarkable. We would be well served to spend some time reflecting on how great a salvation before we storm into reading the Bible or attending a Bible Study or Church service.  We all need to step back and reconsider whose we are.

The focus of attention is on God not on sinful man. It is so easy to allow the focus to turn to us and away from God. It takes discipline to prevent it.

God works through us. I can do nothing that pleases God but He can do great things through me.

(Ephesians 2:10) "For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

We are saved by a faith that works.

(Flesh - Galatians 5:19-21) "The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God" 

The acts of the sinful nature used to define us. That is who we were before our new beginning. We should not live like that anymore and don't have to live like that anymore.

"Good Works" a new nature. James said that faith without works is dead.  That is because Good works - the fruit of the Spirit - are a natural result of our new life in Christ. If there is no evidence of fruit - good works - there is a problem in the heart.

"Let your light shine" (Matthew 5:16) "In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." 

Good works deeds-fruit are to glorify God.

We do not manufacture good works. They are a result of the work of God in our hearts. When a young man called Jesus "Good Teacher" Jesus responded by saying "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except the Father alone" (Mark 10:18) If there is any good in us, the source of the good is God the Father.

Secret - "Grace of God" (1 Cor 15:10) "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me." It is by God's grace that I have a new beginning, that any good works are produced through me.  I am as helpless as I was before my new beginning. (Hebrews 11:6) "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

Our Good works is evidence that we are born again. When I preached in Haitian churches I would use the example of a Mango tree.  They are everywhere in Haiti.  As common as oak trees here.  I would say “If you tell me you are a Mango tree, but when I come to gather some Mangos, all I find are sour oranges, I must believe that you are not a Mango tree at all. You are a sour orange tree.”  In the same way, our faith produces change – more like Jesus – and good works bringing glory to the Father.  If they are not there – no Mangos, then what conclusion must I draw?

Good works are through Christ, working through us. “God prepared in advance” He created us & prepared good works for us to do. I never had a discussion about works with mom, but saw the evidence in her life – I saw the Mangos hanging abundantly from her branches.

Christ is our example in good works. John 13:14,15

“Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”

Phil 1:6 We are confident

“being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”

The more I read the more I am in awe of the great work God did in and through my mom’s life!  

This is part of a comment a friend posted in response to this BLOG.

“Charley, I don’t have anyone in my family that is Godly but love to hear about those who do.”  
My heart hurts for my friend.  I regret so much that have I taken for granted having enjoyed the blessing of the new beginnings in my family.  As I wrote to a friend in Haiti this morning in response to him writing “Bondye Beniw ou” – meaning God Bless You. I responded, "He already has and I say Mesi Jezi – Thank you Jesus!"

Note: Taken from The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren Copyright © 2002 by Rick Warren. Use by permission of Zondervan. www.zondervan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

24 - Living For God

To the question posed on page 318 “Will you serve God’s purpose in your generation?” (p318 note) Mom wrote “Yes!” I think she wrote that ...